Sunday, January 24, 2016

     Rex Wrote: Saturday the 23rd day of January, I left my bride and went to Nakawakawa to install the new Solar System. I had asked two of the Elders to go, but all four wanted to go, and there was room since Sister Woodward stayed home. When Pita heard four Elders were coming, he said that he would get his priesthood to help with the solar. He wanted the Elders to go teach. One of his Elders had hurt his back and flown to Suva with a Labasa Elder with a bad tooth. There would be no Elders staying in Nakawakawa for at least two weeks. Missionary work was more important to Pita then solar power.
     I had promised I would read the directions and follow them. I was anxious to see how to put the unit together. First thing we did when we got to the chapel was to unload the crate and open it to find the directions. There were absolutely no directions, not even a picture of how it was to look, so we really did have to wing it.
     There was a beautiful metal frame the size of one of the two solar panels, two long aluminum angle iron things, some lag screws, and clamps. It took about a half hour to try to figure out how the angle iron things clamped to the frame and how the frame bolted to the roof. No matter how we tried, it didn’t work. Then it hit me! The frame was just a fancy shipping crate, an extra part like they always send with things I put together.  We got it put together in two hours. One and a half if you deduct the time trying to use the crate.
     The four Elders then split up and taught seven lessons in the village with Pita. In just three hours time, they were able to get people ready for baptismal interviews for baptism next Saturday and commit others to get ready for baptism. Two more villages are ready to be opened up soon, and Nakawakawa is growing!
     While the Elders were teaching, I was watching the new system. It charged for a while. There was a huge battery that come with a connection cable, but it was not compatible to hook to anything. That is a mystery yet to be solved.
     There were also parts for a dolly for the electrical generator so it could be moved around. I have no idea why you would want to move it around. There were six young boys, ten to twelve years old, who came to the chapel as the elders left. They looked bored. I gave them the box of dolly parts, and they had a blast snapping it together. (They had directions for the dolly and a picture.) Then I showed them Risk on my iPhone. I taught them too well. They beat me!
     When the unit was charged, we tried the lights in the chapel and in the missionary apartment. They worked! We plugged in their laptop and started charging it without running their little gas generator! I was excited! I sent a message to President Layton, President Harward, and Elder Aldredge in the mission office, “There is power in Nakawakawa!”
     President Layton texted back: “Just when we thought Nakawakawa could not get any better, we find out it has power. Thank you for your great efforts in putting this together.”
      I had 7 hours of good stories and good bonding time with the Elders during the drive there and back. This trip will be a mission highlight for all of us!
     Betty sent down two big cookie sheets of brownies. They were devoured. That made her happy.
     It is crazy how much I missed my sweetheart while I was gone! She got a lot done at the flat to surprise me. It was great to come home safely and give her the amazing report! I earned my pillow again!



This plug from the battery doesn't fit anywhere!

Our very pretty extra part, nice packing material!

Pita has light in the chapel.

They used one of the packing boxes for a Primary cupboard.

Everyone is excited!

The puzzle begins!

A good way to entertain boys!

It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment