Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Rex wrote:
On Sunday, the 28th we picked up the sisters and took them to church, then got Foki from her hotel and brought her to church, and made sure that the elders would get the projector out so that she could start the education fireside before we returned from Naduna. As we turned onto the last narrow, dirt road that goes up the hill to the chapel, somebody had parked a truck in the middle of the road. We had to park at the bottom of the hill and walk up the road and ask them to move the truck and then go back and get our truck. We arrived about 10 minutes late, but we were the first ones there. The counselor in the branch presidency came out of his house next door to the chapel, and he started the meeting about 20 minutes late. He said the elders quorum president wasn't there, and he turned the time over to me to give the lesson. Since I didn't have a lesson prepared, I talked about priesthood through the ages.
For singing I didn't have my iPhone for the English words so Betty and I just sang in Fijian from their songbook. We could tell the song by the tune. It was only one syllable at a time. We sang phonetically. No piano and just 7 total there, plus the chickens, dogs, and butterflies. If we could have counted them on the roll, there would have been quite a few.
For Sunday school I had the lesson prepared, and it worked perfectly except they didn't want to answer any questions. After a brief silence Betty or I would give the answer.
For Sacrament meeting, the counselor got up and gave a talk, we had a rest song, and then he announced Betty and I would be the concluding speakers. I gave both priesthood and Sunday school lessons and then got to talk in church.
 I am preparing in case it happens again next Sunday so I'll have all the lessons ready and the talk.

Betty's addition:
Since there were only 5 of us when Priesthood started, and I was the only sister, we had it combined. It was good not to have to prepare for a talk. I usually get so anxious. This was good! I spoke on the Holy Ghost. I told the story of Lightening the Cow and the time I went off the road & almost tipped over and killed myself. The Holy Ghost warned me both times and saved my life! They seemed very impressed. The fun thing about Fijians is that they say yes by raising their eyebrows. As I told my stories,  their eyebrows were really going in agreement.
1st Counselor at Naduna

Naduna Chapel


Notice the beautiful background
 

No comments:

Post a Comment