Sunday, December 14, 2014

Dec. 15, 2014
We kept our promise to help the Chief clear his field for planting. It had been disked with a tractor and then harrowed using the bulls. He still had huge clumps of grass with dirt attached to the roots all over his field. I have a terrible fear of bulls. I actually forgot that for a few minutes the other night as we were watching the huge animals pull the harrow. They seemed so tame and obeyed his every command. It wasn't until he took the yoke off, and they were standing on the lawn with a rope attached to each and no one on the other end of the ropes that I realized. I came in from the rear and slipped quickly up the stairs and into the chief's house. Rex was out by the Chief helping. The Chief said, "You'd better stay back. They don't know you." Later we talked about it. Rex said, "I'm really proud of you that you're going to face your fears and go out in the field and work right beside the bulls." I must admit. I didn't sleep as well that night. It rained really hard Friday, and I wasn't sad that it was too wet to help Saturday. Sunday night I had nightmares again. I woke up and told Rex my revised plan. "We can use the tarp instead of the bulls." That's what we did. The Chief was gone when we went so we worked without him. No bulls. I was so relieved! The Chief's daughter came out after awhile and helped. She is a cute twelve year old. She worked really hard right beside us. Rex did the work of the bulls and dragged the heavy tarp-loads of sod to the side of the field and dumped them. We cleared the end field in about two hours, resting a couple of times in between. I let out a little scream every time a big ugly frog unburied itself and jumped out right in front of me. The good news is that when I got bit again and again with the big ants, I had immediate mud to put on my bare feet. When we got done, I was shaking so hard I had a hard time hitting my mouth with the bottle of water. Rex said, "You're done!" He was right. We were so muddy and tired we didn't even take a picture. Nonetheless, it felt so good that we had kept our promise and helped. What we will do to show someone we care.
Love you all!
This is from the first night we were there. It was drizzling rain as we took the picture, and the Chief was covered from chest down with mud. The clumps of grass on top of his little harrow are what we were clearing off the field on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment