Friday, April 17, 2015

Another Fiji First: We love to watch as mongooses (Shouldn’t they be called mongeese?) run across the road. We have never seen one yet as road kill. Now we know why. We were sitting at our intersection waiting to get onto the main highway. The traffic was thick coming from each direction at 25 mph. I saw a mongoose shoot across the grass and not even pause as it ran full bore into the road and right in front of the back wheel of a car. I didn’t even have time to look away before the tire would crush it. I couldn’t believe what happened next. As if by magic, the mongoose recoiled, waited for the tire to pass, and ran on across the road. I had heard a mongoose is quick enough to dodge the strikes of a cobra and indeed kill the snake, but I got to witness it firsthand. When I told Rex about it, he teased, “Did you get it on video?” I laughed and said, “Right! I was lucky to see it myself let alone get a camera out.” He knew.

Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment