Thursday, July 23, 2015

Rex wrote:
Monday July, 23
I awoke and looked through blurry eyes to see why my thumbnail was moist. I could see little specks all over my nail. I had rubbed it and killed some of the sugar ant sized critters. I got up and washed my hands. There were still a few wiggly things hanging on. I used some hand sanitizer and an old toothbrush and got rid of them, or so I thought.




While we were shopping, I saw one more and asked a man, who studying to be a nurse, to look and tell me what it was. He  said he had never seen anything like it before, but he had read of some people with similar holes in their nails. He said they could be Fijian Nail Mites. They are like termites, only they eat fingernails. He said the first thing they do is bore through the nail and lay eggs in the tissue below. I asked how to get rid of them. He told me there is no known cure except permanently removing all the nails from both hands and feet. They are contagious, but only by direct contact. He said handshaking is right out. If I wanted to keep my nails, I would have to live with it rest of my life. I would need to warn everyone I meet that if my mouth is moving, I am lying; or in this case if my fingers are typing.
OR the hole in my nail might be the result of trying to put in a difficult flat-blade screw with a power drill and having the drill slip off the screw and tear into the base of my nail. This is after 2 or 3 months of growing it out, but that is not as fun of a story. I can only go so long without telling a big one.

No comments:

Post a Comment