Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Rex wrote: 
Another Fiji First: As we were out visiting with Sister Kumar, I was impressed with the smooth, grayish surface coating on one porch. It didn't look like cement, and it wasn't the color of dirt. I thought it was some kind of a plaster. When I asked her, Sister Kumar told me it was Cow Poop. That wasn't the answer I was expecting. Kind of made me feel like home, but I had sandals on instead of boots; and it was hard instead of ankle deep.
It helped me understand more how they feel about Holy Cows. The Hindus believe in reincarnation. If a person has a lot of tough lives in a row, he/she is born as a white cow and can rest from all hardships. I knew if a holy white cow got into their house, they weren't supposed to scare it out. I found out here they actually coax a white cow into the house and wait for it to poop to bless the house. My idea of blessing a home and their idea of blessing a home is slightly different.
Got to love Fiji!

We had eight patients at the rest home playing Toss Up today with us. We need to start looking for more dice so two can shake at one time. It’s incredible how much they love that game even though most of them can’t walk and many can’t even talk. Our newest friend pulls himself around on the floor just like the Little One. He stays back a little instead of getting into the circle. When it’s his turn, Rex goes over to where he is and gets right down on the floor to play with him. He is all smiles and claps for himself whenever we cheer and clap for him.
We are having fun!
Hope you are, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment