Sunday, November 29, 2015

Rough boat ride back from Taveuni

It was raining when we got on the boat to leave Taveuni. The boat was rocking as it sat in dock waiting to load.

Just as we started to move, we saw a rainbow. My camera doesn't do it justice. It was beautiful. If you look closely, it was actually a double rainbow.
I wish this could catch the 3D effect. The captain had to hit the waves head on, and then turn a little sideways.
  

The boat was going up and down and side to side at the same time. I was okay as long as I kept looking out at the waves.
Rex was worried about me, but he was the one had to go out on the bow to keep from being sea sick. Sister Roth joined him for the same reason. There wasn't much talking.

There were 6-8 foot swells. In what is usually a glassy smooth sea, there was a lot of white water as the waves broke. They didn't seem as bad as long as I kept taking pictures so I just kept taking pictures and video. At one point, I was almost scared. I thought about Jesus and how he had calmed the sea by saying, "Peace be still." That was my mantra for a while..

As we came into the bay, the waves subsided.
 Nice to be back to our island.
This reminded me of our milk bottle raft.
The man is the father of the captain, who is beside him.  We told him "thank you" for getting us home safely. He is proud to have built this sea worthy boat, the Taveuni Princess. He has steered it safely through hurricanes.
Safely on shore. Good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment